This year has been filled with wonderful opportunities for me. Most of the time, my year would be filled with school works (summer classes), reading books that I’ve been dying to read but couldn’t because of school work and of course, just sleeping around in my bedroom province in Calamba, Laguna.
But this year, which started really differently, has been nothing but mundane. In fact, we’re only at the 7th month and I feel so exhilarated already. There has never been a better time to be alive.
Basically, I’m listing all of them down because I’m quite frankly, I’ve been very sad for the past few weeks. I thought listing them all down would be a great reminder.
Here’s a run down of what I’ve been doing for the past 7 months.
1. On January 1, 2015 I boarded an airplane for the first time ever. It was such a lovely and terrifying experience. My mother and I went to Kuala Lumpur for three days and it was amazing. Malaysia will always have a special place in my heart because of this trip. The trains, the food, the people.. Everything Malaysia screamed “the Philippines if only we had more discipline and a better government.”
2. On January 3, 2015 my mother and I boarded a bus to Singapore from Kuala Lumpur. The real reason why we were travelling was because my grandmother proudly sponsored my Debate Camp that was to be held in Yale- NUS. My mother decided that we could visit Malaysia for 3 days then just take the bus (it was cheaper too!) and it was much more exciting!
3. February 7, 2015: I joined my first public speaking competition and made it to the top 3. Eventually, I won the contest and I got a chance to compete internationally to the English Speaking Union’s International Public Speaking Competition. The trip to London (which happened on May 6 until May 17) is one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me and I am so glad that I lived long enough to experience that. London was my dream city; with all the books, museums, food and even the weather. I swore I would come back one day and hopefully I do.
4. March: Our thesis, which involves co-sleeping (a topic I am very interested in) was finalised and just a few days ago, the authors of the scales we intent to use have replied; we now have permission to use all three scales!!! I am so happy. Also, a Psych professor from the University of Pennsylvania/ Uni of Melbourne said our study was interesting! (OK maybe she was just being nice but STILL)
5. April: I turned 20. My god. I am old. April was the most stressful month of my life. I had volunteer work (Alay Ni Ignacio; involves teaching 9th graders English), I had school (which meant readings, tests and Organic Chemistry), I had to prepare for London and I had to deal with my crazy emotion swings. Honestly, this was the most stressful birthday I ever had; I didn’t even had the opportunity to come home for my birthday. I had no cake, no ice cream, nada. It was sad yet I also felt that my adolescence was over. I was slowly becoming an adult. And it scared the shit out of me.
6. May: Went to LONDON. Meet new people (I hope I’ll see them again) and saw the Shakespeare Globe theatre. Oyster Cards. Public Speaking. Waterstones!!! The day after I got home, I slept and arranged my stuff. The following day, I had an interview for my internship with MLAC. I got in and three days after, I was thrust into the world of children. May was the most exhausting thing ever and honestly, it took me a while to recover. On may 27, my guardian from London, Tita Loline Reed, died of a brain aneurysm and once again, I still haven’t recovered. This was my first time to experience grief.
7. June: Got another internship at Ateneo de Manila University + I got a job teaching English to a 9th grader (but this time I get pay!) I’m still currently doing this now and believe me when I say that it is difficult. I honestly thought I would be able to handle all of the work thrown at me. I had a breakdown last night because deadlines were coming in and I still haven’t finished half of my paperwork. Plus, teaching a kid English is no walk in the park.
Basically, these are the things that have kept me busy. 2015 is the best year of my life so far, albeit it is so stressful, I want to cry and just stay in bed. Especially with the weather we’re having in the country right now.
Anyway, I have to get back to work =)